SURFACE PREPARATIONS: All Surfaces must be cleaned. ALL WAX MUST BE REMOVED, even if the boat is new. Rubbing compound contains wax, therefore it must also be removed. To remove wax, use ammonia, Windex or acetone. Acetone is not recommended for painted boats.
- You will need masking tape, spray bottle, Joy or dish washing liquid, and a tape measure.
- Using the masking tape to underline where you want to place the vinyl sign. If you have letters that drop below the line, remove tape in that area.
- With you spray bottle, mix a solution of 20 drops of Joy, Ivory, etc in one pint of water. Carefully spray the soapy water on the area where you want to place the vinyl.
- Place the Graphics face down and peel away the waxed paper backing. Then spray the solution on the back of the vinyl sign. Be sure the Graphics is adhering to the application tape (premask).
- While the area is still very wet, place the Graphics in the selected position. The soapy water allows you to slide Graphics into place. Gently rub palm over Graphics. (The water has no bearing on the adhesion; it is only for positioning the Graphics and removing the air bubbles.)
- Use the white squeegee provided to squeeze the water out from under the Graphics. Squeegee in all directions and repeat several times. This process removes air & water from under the Graphics.
- Let the Graphics dry completely. The amount of time needed to dry depends on the temperature and the humidity. Estimated time: 80 degrees - 30 minutes, 70 degrees - 3 hours, 50 degrees - 4 to 6 hours. These are recommendations ONLYï¿½.the Graphics MUST dry prior to the next step. 60 - 70 - 80 degrees are recommended temperatures for post installation.
- Slowly peel back the premask translucent application tape; the Graphics will adhere to the boat. If the Graphics don't adhere to the boat, you didn't wait long enough for the water to dry behind the Graphics; repeat squeegee process. LET DRY.
- Now check for any bubbles. If you find any, place a small piece of premask tape over the area; squeeze to the closest edge. If you still have a small bubble you can pop it with a pin. Small bubbles will eventually disappear from the sun over time.
- On a windy day, be very careful when you peel the Graphics off the paper. The Graphics is very sticky; don't let it crease. Spray Graphics as you peel off wax paper. We prefer you don't try to install on a windy day.
- Do not attempt installation in direct sunlight on a hot day.
- If you need to remove old painted letters, use Easy-Off oven cleaner. Please test in an inconspicuous area before using. Please wear gloves and eye protection.
- If you have any other questions, please feel free to call us (561 585 1519).
- NEVER APPLY DIRECT HEAT (E.G. BUFFING WHEEL, HEAT GUN, BLOW DRYER)